An adorable pet plant for your floral collection, and an amateur gardener’s most obedient subject, the umbrella tree is one houseplant you didn’t know you wanted, but a houseplant you would love to keep at your place. The name comes from the charming shape of its foliage, the umbrella plant gains its demand because of being very adaptable to growing in different types of conditions, and what’s more! It even takes neglect sportively. Scientifically known as Schefflera Arboricola, belonging to family Araliaceae, it’s more commonly called as an Dwarf Umbrella Tree, with a dwarf suffix attached to it for one variety. Its place of origin is not one, but two. Australia and Taiwan. Tolerating temperatures of 60 to 70°F best, the scale of tolerance starts from 15°F.
About the Umbrella Plant
- The plant is very adaptable to growing in different types of conditions and is low maintenance.
- Apart from the leaves, the umbrella plant does sprout flowers, and needless to mention, berries too. With the appearances of long spikes with a red hue, the flowers bloom during the summer season
- It can grow up to the height of 50 feet and thrive in medium-high humidity, while the dwarf variety reaches only a meager 4 or 5 feet.
- When trimmed and pruned well, the growth can be managed for the indoors.
- It doesn’t bother its owner on the soil side either, with the standard compost or potting soil being more than enough. Just fertilize it once a few weeks to keep it healthy.
- Healthy & robust Dwarf Umbrella Plant.
- 8 Inch of Round Black/ Brown Pot (as shown in image) along with a plate
- PlantCare planner prepared by Botanist (will be shared over whatsapp on the day of delivery).
- The mentioned specifications are indicative only. Actual dimensions may vary by +-10%
How to care for Dwarf Umbrella Tree?
Light and Temperature tips for Dwarf Umbrella Tree
- Keep the plant in the general direction of the light, preferably indirect yet bright, a short distance from any window.
- It isn’t advisable to expose them to direct heat of the sun, as the leaves begin to burn.
- Direct sunlight is still allowed, but only for a couple of hours a day and preferably not in noontime.
- The plant can tolerate temperatures of 60 to 70°F best, the scale of tolerance starts from 15°F.
Water Tips for Healthy Growth of Umbrella Plant
- Unlike its light requirement, the umbrella tree isn’t fussy about its water intake. It has a high tolerance for drought and can thrive through neglectful watering.
- This does not mean the tree can live through an adverse lack of water, and it will begin to wilt, the leaves wrinkling when not supplied with adequate water.
- Excessive watering can be a grave issue, starting with the leaves turning black and falling off.
- The stems and roots rot at an exponential pace.
- The water you use for the plant should be of lukewarm temperature, and the plant should only be irrigated when the leaves start wilting, or the soil is nearly dry.
Once watered, do not let the water clog the pot, and drain it properly so that the soil isn’t wet for long.
Soil Tips for Dwarf Umbrella Tree
- Use the standard compost or potting soil.
- Fertilize once a few weeks or so keeps it healthy.
- Repot carefully.
Precautions Do's & Dont's around this plant
- Sap causes an itchy rash if you have a sensitive skin.
- Plant sap is toxic.
- Keeps your pets away from the plant.
- It is sometimes prone to have pest attacks.