Belonging to family Poaceae, Lemon Grass is a low-maintenance exotic plant native to Southeast Asia. It has become popular in a host of international cuisines, has a lovely citrusy scent and is used in medicinal applications. Adding to that its ability to repel some insect and pests. It has elegant 6-foot-tall arching stems and this is a plant you will love to grow. Caring for the plant is very easy, but one thing it is fussy about is water. Knowing when to water lemongrass and how much the plant requires is solves most of the problems while growing this plant. Its scientific name is Cymbopogon Citratus.
About Lemon Grass Plant
- It belongs to the family of grasses and has a citrusy smell.
- This rapidly growing plant has dense grassy leaves sprouting from cane-like stems.
- It is a very thirsty plant, enjoying frequent watering and high humidity.
- It is often used in Thai and may other Asian cuisines for its potent flavour
- It has been used in India for many years for medicinal purposes and is also an ayurvedic favourite.
- It contains a component called Citral that helps to digest food.
- It is packed with antioxidants that help in detoxing and cleansing you from within. It helps in removal of toxins from the body by relieving fluid retention.
- It is rich in potassium which increases the production of urine in our body, which in turn stimulates blood circulation and lowers blood pressure.
Plant has FREE Delivery
- Healthy & robust Lemon Grass plant of upto 20 inch in height. Mentioned height is including the pot height.
- 8 Inch of Round Black/ Brown Pot (as shown in image) along with a plate
- Pune location - only brown pot is available
- PlantCare planner prepared by Botanist (will be shared over whatsapp on the day of delivery).
- The mentioned specifications are indicative only. Actual dimensions may vary by +-10%
How to care for Lemongrass Plant?
Light and Temperature Tips
- This plant is one of few that enjoy full, direct sun, so it’s perfect to set in a bright sunny window or an un-shaded area of your garden if you want to keep it outside.
- Lemongrass will need plenty of bright sunlight even in winter, so ensure it has access to natural light; otherwise, the stalks will turn brown.
- If situated in an ideal bright spot, you will see rapid growth during summer months from your lemongrass.
- If your plant lives in an area with bright but indirect light, it should still grow well, but not as quickly.
- Lemongrass does not like to be kept in low light or shaded areas and will suffer if it is kept in these conditions.
Water Tips for Healthy Growth of Lemon Grass
- In their natural environment, lemongrass plants experience quite humid conditions.
- They will benefit from living in high humidity in your home or garden, though as long as light, temperature, and water conditions are right.
- Do not over-water or the plant roots may rot.
Soil Tips for Lemon Grass plant
- As a quick-growing and foliage-dense plant, lemongrass benefits from a fertilizer high in nitrogen, which encourages leaf growth.
- Both indoor and outdoor lemongrass plants should be fertilized during their growing period in spring and summer.
- Use a liquid fertilizer on a monthly basis, and then, cease feeding your lemongrass plant completely during fall and winter when the plant slows growth or becomes dormant.